davidhogarcia

Please Implement Renewal Interface

I'm gonna go and guess that the servers with renewal GUI and no 3rd jobs did this: They switched to renewal client, but disabled the 3rd jobs(just disable any way to get them). That way, they do not have to code every single thing and just disabled one part that is the problem.

The issue with this is that this is not easily done on a server that has been on for several years and does content patches every now and then(like our server does). It also does not help that our server is probably 80-90% customs(card effects and items).

Personally, I don't see any worth on switching to it just to get hotkeys then get tons of bugs after. As always, I would rather have new content(updates on our custom storyline quests) and fix on some stuff(better pvp rewards) than getting hotkeys that we can customize.

Remember, it took several years for Gravity to actually update RO to the renewal thing. And they are the developers.

I'm gonna go and guess that the servers with renewal GUI and no 3rd jobs did this: They switched to renewal client, but disabled the 3rd jobs(just disable any way to get them). That way, they do not have to code every single thing and just disabled one part that is the problem.

The issue with this is that this is not easily done on a server that has been on for several years and does content patches every now and then(like our server does). It also does not help that our server is probably 80-90% customs(card effects and items).

Personally, I don't see any worth on switching to it just to get hotkeys then get tons of bugs after. As always, I would rather have new content(updates on our custom storyline quests) and fix on some stuff(better pvp rewards) than getting hotkeys that we can customize.

Remember, it took several years for Gravity to actually update RO to the renewal thing. And they are the developers.

Sounds about right, but still, there should be a way, to at least, improve the GUI, in the end, the very reason of the topic was that... the GUI. So if maybe, and I'm saying, MAYBE, there's a way of just changing the GUI (which pre renewal GUI sucks as fuck and I spent like 3 yrs gaming like that, once the server switched to renewal GUI, it was way better, and I mean gameplay). Now, renewal would not "just get hotkeys", we'd get stuff like Niddhoggur's nest, Endless Tower, New World, Dewata Town/Dungeon, among other stuff. I'm not sure and don't really know if FRo already got those, but if it does, I'm certain that we can get renewal GUI. Just try and check.

Hi David, thank you for your suggestion. I personally do like a lot of the changes in the Renewal interface, and I can see the benefit of a lot of them. This is something I wanted to do in the past and so looked into it along with Genesis. That being said, what many people have already said about the difficulties of switching over is correct. Because we're one of the private servers that have been open the longest, we have thousands of custom items, mobs, maps, quests, etc. Years and years worth. Now, in order to get the interface, we need to switch to the Renewal client. We could of course disable third jobs, which wouldn't be an issue. The issue isn't even transferring over the custom items - Genesis and I would have no problem taking the time to do that, and believe me it would be time consuming to do!

The issue is what happens afterwards. It's inevitable there are going to be lots and lots of bugs, many of which could be game breaking. Yes, we can fix them, but it would take considerable time and our players wouldn't be able to enjoy playing our server during that time. It would create a lot of instability, which wouldn't be good for the server. There was another RO server around the same age as ours that tried to switch over to the Renewal client, and all of the bugs and issues caused them to lose almost all of their players and they never recovered from it.

We love ForsakenRO way too much to let that happen. So, instead we work with what we have and make it as innovative and fun as possible in different ways. I know a lot of people prefer the Renewal interface and its features, but ultimately I'd rather play on a server that has interesting quests, high quality custom items, caring staff, and a great community. I think all of those things are ultimately more important, and I hope you agree. :)

Hi David, thank you for your suggestion. I personally do like a lot of the changes in the Renewal interface, and I can see the benefit of a lot of them. This is something I wanted to do in the past and so looked into it along with Genesis. That being said, what many people have already said about the difficulties of switching over is correct. Because we're one of the private servers that have been open the longest, we have thousands of custom items, mobs, maps, quests, etc. Years and years worth. Now, in order to get the interface, we need to switch to the Renewal client. We could of course disable third jobs, which wouldn't be an issue. The issue isn't even transferring over the custom items - Genesis and I would have no problem taking the time to do that, and believe me it would be time consuming to do!

The issue is what happens afterwards. It's inevitable there are going to be lots and lots of bugs, many of which could be game breaking. Yes, we can fix them, but it would take considerable time and our players wouldn't be able to enjoy playing our server during that time. It would create a lot of instability, which wouldn't be good for the server. There was another RO server around the same age as ours that tried to switch over to the Renewal client, and all of the bugs and issues caused them to lose almost all of their players and they never recovered from it.

We love ForsakenRO way too much to let that happen. So, instead we work with what we have and make it as innovative and fun as possible in different ways. I know a lot of people prefer the Renewal interface and its features, but ultimately I'd rather play on a server that has interesting quests, high quality custom items, caring staff, and a great community. I think all of those things are ultimately more important, and I hope you agree. :)

I do agree. And actually, to be honest, I do see here a great community and caring staff, that's why I suggested, coz in the midst of my optimism, I thought there was a way of just, JUST modifying the GUI. Which is basically the only thing I thought of when I suggested what I suggested. Now, I do understand that there'd be lots of bugs as an aftermath of switching. Now you guys can decide what's best for the server, but I do think that sooner or later you guys may have to switch for whatever reason, even you would have to switch from eAthena to Thor or w/e for w/e reason. Still, as an experienced player I'm here to help with whatever you guys think I can.

I do agree. And actually, to be honest, I do see here a great community and caring staff, that's why I suggested, coz in the midst of my optimism, I thought there was a way of just, JUST modifying the GUI. Which is basically the only thing I thought of when I suggested what I suggested. Now, I do understand that there'd be lots of bugs as an aftermath of switching. Now you guys can decide what's best for the server, but I do think that sooner or later you guys may have to switch for whatever reason, even you would have to switch from eAthena to Thor or w/e for w/e reason. Still, as an experienced player I'm here to help with whatever you guys think I can.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Like you said, someday we may need to, and we'll need our players' support to do it successfully. :) I completely understand where you're coming from, and why you suggested it. There's definitely some really nifty features in the Renewal interface I'd love for us to have! I just wanted to explain our reasoning for not implementing it right now, hopefully everyone will be able to understand why now. :)

Thanks again for your suggestion and looking for ways to make fRO better! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on ways we can improve the server, especially our experience for new players.

If we ever come to the situation where we will try to switch to renewal, may I suggest a few things?

1. Make a full backup of the server. Make a date known to every player where you guys will make a "snapshot" of the whole state of the server. So there will be no outcry about rollbacks when #3 happens.

2. Try and switch to renewal and close the server during it. It will take time, I say a week or 2 to test bugs and stuff, even a month. Hire a few players that can login during these time to report bugs. Make it like a Closed Beta Test with select players.

3. If the testing fails(bugs that appeared are game breaking and cannot be fixed easily), abandon the switch to renewal and just restart the server using the data in the backup.

If we ever come to the situation where we will try to switch to renewal, may I suggest a few things?

1. Make a full backup of the server. Make a date known to every player where you guys will make a "snapshot" of the whole state of the server. So there will be no outcry about rollbacks when #3 happens.

2. Try and switch to renewal and close the server during it. It will take time, I say a week or 2 to test bugs and stuff, even a month. Hire a few players that can login during these time to report bugs. Make it like a Closed Beta Test with select players.

3. If the testing fails(bugs that appeared are game breaking and cannot be fixed easily), abandon the switch to renewal and just restart the server using the data in the backup.

Genius. I wouldn't have had said it in a better way, and that's actually a pretty good option.

@Ray, I think its not just backing up the server or so.

Like what i have experienced, You just need another copy of the server and run it with the renewal client. (everything is the same except for the client)

Explanation:
Finding new stable client is not that easy (2012 clients is the stable one "Like they've said") *repacking .GRF files, LUA files and friends, Translations from Hangul to English, New Client Packets* and for the server, some configs (Not as hard as the client thing)

I've running an offline server recently, *not the eAthena* and just blowed my mind migrating from old Ragexe to new Ragexe which is the renewal GUI (Lot's of thing you need to do Like "RENEWING YOUR OWN kRO GAME CLIENT and download a 2gb file for that")
*its been running :)*

About the said renewal Client "w/o" 3rd job: Yeah its possible! The only come up of that is "Job Kafra" *blame her if she run the script to change characters into 3rd job classes :P*

Edit:

Anyway, as for me, i can provide the server a renewal client GUI but its not that easy working on the other side of fRO :), they we're the only one who can do it :).

Edited by Don't look at me

Like what i have experienced, You just need another copy of the server and run it with the renewal client. (everything is the same except for the client)

Explanation:

Finding new stable client is not that easy (2012 clients is the stable one "Like they've said") *repacking .GRF files, LUA files and friends, Translations from Hangul to English, New Client Packets* and for the server, some configs (Not as hard as the client thing)

I've running an offline server recently, *not the eAthena* and just blowed my mind migrating from old Ragexe to new Ragexe which is the renewal GUI (Lot's of thing you need to do Like "RENEWING YOUR OWN kRO GAME CLIENT and download a 2gb file for that") *its been running :)*

About the said renewal Client "w/o" 3rd job: Yeah its possible! The only come up of that is "Job Kafra" *blame her if she run the script to change characters into 3rd job classes :P*

Edit:

Anyway, as for me, i can provide the server a renewal client GUI but its not that easy working on the other side of fRO :), they we're the only one who can do it :).

I'd say I'd try if I knew how to xD. Here, @Veracity there's someone that is willing to try. Maybe run a background test with him/her? It'd be always a good chance to gather some data on the server's behaviour with that update... just saying.

Edited by davidhogarcia

Well... I can try but I'm not the one that has the know-how to do that... I could be a tester tho. Lemme know what you think. Still if you're interested in my idea, lemme know too xD. And thanks for considering it. You want to pm @don't look at me she knows how to do that xD.

Edited by davidhogarcia

Yeah definitely, why don't you send me a PM if you're interested in helping out with a renewal GUI so we can look into it more and take it under consideration?

It's okay for me to help when it comes to fRO's Development. But before anything else, i just want to ask some info first before I start the job, and i need to test everything first on my own before i release a beta testing for the new client, i dont want to get blamed with any actions that i would do.

Beforehand let me show you "MY" offline's renewal GUI (Still not been translated everything)

Info:

<Client Version>: 53

Ragexe : 2015-09-16aRagexe

Showing:

Storage Sortment

Shadow Equipment Tab (Renewal) < Will work with renewal item.db

Battle mode Quickslots

Cash Shop Button

Mini Map Shortcuts (It has GPS that's why it's so cool) and Coordinates

screenrAthena013_zpsbch6awhg.jpg

Showing:

Cash Shop Window

Main Equipment Window

Quick Options (Upper Left Under Character Info)

screenrAthena014_zpsov2vrku3.jpg

Showing:

Monster HP Bar

screenrAthena015_zpsulain1cl.jpg

And lots of it's features. Some of the features is disabled on my server settings.

P.S.:

This is the newest client that i found around google. Its still fRO admin's decision to which clients should we use.

Explanation:

I've running an offline server recently, *not the eAthena* and just blowed my mind migrating from old Ragexe to new Ragexe which is the renewal GUI (Lot's of thing you need to do Like "RENEWING YOUR OWN kRO GAME CLIENT and download a 2gb file for that") *its been running :)*

Edit:

Well, I might be using the term backup lightly there. What I meant is really a copy of the server(hence I said there should be a save state date for it). It will take a long time to do it, hence I am not really on board with the idea.

Well, I might be using the term backup lightly there. What I meant is really a copy of the server(hence I said there should be a save state date for it). It will take a long time to do it, hence I am not really on board with the idea.

But i dont think that closing the server even if you have a specified time is an option. Maybe solo test and locally host the updated server (renewal GUI) before migrating.

Migration would be the hardest part because they need to download the newly patched kro first before installing the fRO patch

Closing the server is definitely an option(although we have ones who will rage). I was giving it as a probable way of doing it with few staff(keep in mind that mostly Genesis and maybe Veracity work behind the scenes when it comes with the coding and stuff).

Solo tests will take longer to pull off, add to the fact that Genesis does not play as a player of the server. While he knows the server like the back of his hand, he might miss some things with regards to gameplay bugs.

Again, this suggestion is when we have no choice but to get renewal(very unlikely). I don't really mind having or not having that GUI. I rather fix bugs and get new content than getting renewal. Until now there are bugs in our homunculus so I'd rather get that fixed for example

That's why i included locally host the new server. so that we don't need to close the working server and then continue working on the new test server.

Off-topic:

One problem. I got banned in-game. :) Oh loled too much on that.

screen000_zpsumjtvcak.jpg

Edited:

Sorry to tell you folks but I will
revoke my Development skills in this server. Maybe this [GM]Danger can do the part of Developing this server other than randomly banning player accounts :), Thank you so much and more power to Forsaken RO

That's why i included locally host the new server. so that we don't need to close the working server and then continue working on the new test server.

Off-topic:

One problem. I got banned in-game. :) Oh loled too much on that.

screen000_zpsumjtvcak.jpg

Edited:

Sorry to tell you folks but I will revoke my Development skills in this server. Maybe this [GM]Danger can do the part of Developing this server other than randomly banning player accounts :), Thank you so much and more power to Forsaken RO

Oh man... no way! Not even Veracity was reluctant to the idea... now I'm loling as yourself xD. And that's why the server loses players, now, also, this guy saying that closing the server is a good idea... no it is not, if you close the server to run the tests, players will most likely leave it.

Also:

-1 terrible idea.

Why is that?

I've played RO for around 12 years on and off, I'm too used to playing RO the way it is and this is why I joined fRO many moons ago, I think it should be kept as it is since it does draw people to the server, particularly since there aren't many pre-renewal servers left around.

I focus ALL my time into pvp, it's all I do, I play with F keys and it's completely fine, 95% of people use /bm and have never had an issue or complained about it in any way, I see no need for it to be altered other than a few minor inconveniences.

Oh man... no way! Not even Veracity was reluctant to the idea... now I'm loling as yourself xD. And that's why the server loses players, now, also, this guy saying that closing the server is a good idea... no it is not, if you close the server to run the tests, players will most likely leave it.

So you would rather run a server with bugs in them along with broken grf and such that people crash their game constantly? Good lord.

Sorry, but tests on a locally hosted server is a stepping stone, you cannot be sure that bugs won't appear on the live server just because you tested locally. Again, I only said to close the server since WE ARE UNDERMANNED regarding this. I for one would not really be bothered if we go renewal or not.

Edited by Rayray

@david, you had a nice idea but for the benefit of the server its not a good idea, maybe you wil understand when you own your own server sir

I said that to improve gameplay, since there's people that plays with /bm constantly, also there's jobs which are better playable that way i.e priest, proff, hw, sinx and champ. So yes, it'd benefit the server's gameplay. I'm not saying it should be switched all over to renewal, just implement its GUI which would be way easier for players to set up their keys wtfever they want to.

So you would rather run a server with bugs in them along with broken grf and such that people crash their game constantly? Good lord.

Sorry, but tests on a locally hosted server is a stepping stone, you cannot be sure that bugs won't appear on the live server just because you tested locally. Again, I only said to close the server since WE ARE UNDERMANNED regarding this. I for one would not really be bothered if we go renewal or not.

You got a point there, it'd be a good idea if it wouldn't fuck up the amount of people, believe, once they close the server, people will just migrate to another one. So it can be closed for like a real little bit of time, 2-3 days tops in order to test and all. But still, the only one who volunteered to try and implement renewal stuff, was banned for no reason which is pretty stupid. Still the one that banned her could have not known what she was intending. But meh...

You got a point there, it'd be a good idea if it wouldn't fuck up the amount of people, believe, once they close the server, people will just migrate to another one. So it can be closed for like a real little bit of time, 2-3 days tops in order to test and all. But still, the only one who volunteered to try and implement renewal stuff, was banned for no reason which is pretty stupid. Still the one that banned her could have not known what she was intending. But meh...

I doubt people that spent months to get gears will migrate to another server simply because fRO will be down a couple of days.

Also, I seriously doubt she got banned for no reason.

She was trying to implement renewal GUI into a locally hosted server, and then she got banned. It's just the fact that, in order to try that out, she might need to mess with the codes from the server, ofc my knowledge in that matter is limited.