masang

Distance Lag Issues For Asians

Hi there fRO community. Since 2007, what we're trying to do is to encourage people to play and STAY in our server. There's a lot of reasons why players choose to stay in a server. Good donates, good pvp, good GMs, good system and I think the biggest reason why they stay is because the ping's good.

Forsaken RO is the best High Rate server [this I can say not as a patriot but because I know servers who has "OVERPOWERED" characters/job/classes which can somewhat be discouraging to go against] because it is balanced.

Now, I myself have been trying to get players from other RO, or even gamers from another GAME to join us because of these reasons:

1. Better economy.

2. More enjoyable Woe.

3. Competitive PVP - PS: I hate autopots users - Ban them please.

4. More donators - Stability.

5. More friends.

Currently, I've invited 50 - 60 people and they said they're here to stay. Thing is, these people are from places I mentioned earlier and they're experiencing those pings I mentioned.

Now here's the catch. Forsaken Ro's server is located somewhere in Dallas which makes players from Asia, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, etc. high pings and all. Currently, we're experience pings from 270 - 300 and this is not good for anything [Farming, PVP, BR, GVG, Woe, Thana Room, Even Events like Guess the Monster, Password - Easy ones]

People have been trying to explain: You can use VPNs, GPNs to reduce your ping. To tell you honestly I tried, No, WE tried. But VPNs and GPNs doesn't work that good constantly. Ping spikes most of the time.

To end the note: Please do something about it. Whatever it may be, I'm 100% sure it will lead to a better community. More players, more fun, more Donators.

sometimes its not the server who has the problem, usually its the isp who's the culprit behind it, blame zobel de ayala and manny pangilinan about this matter, they manipulate the telco industry in our country, theyre the ones who should be blamed for this, coz other players dont even lag at all, regardless of your location and isp, the server will be as is, of course you gotta depend on your isp too, thats one of the big factors around it.

sometimes its not the server who has the problem, usually its the isp who's the culprit behind it, blame zobel de ayala and manny pangilinan about this matter, they manipulate the telco industry in our country, theyre the ones who should be blamed for this, coz other players dont even lag at all, regardless of your location and isp, the server will be as is, of course you gotta depend on your isp too, thats one of the big factors around it.

I know what you're saying. But this isn't an issue for the Philippines alone. This is an issue for players in Thailand, Malaysia, Japan, Etc. Blaiming them wouldn't help.

Another thing, my internet isn't that bad. Pinging using www.google.com -t would give me results of 5 - 9 ms. Compared to pinging forsaken-ro.net = 270 - 333 ms.

No need to blame anyone.

speedtest and cmd give you results its just a plain explanation on how much speed your getting, told you before the thing is that the SPEED OF TRAVEL OF DATA from america to phil (vice versa) has a factor also, usually the isp is the problem here? how do i know? i used to work in dell computers i work as an IT there for years, that's one of the secrets ISP companies hides from there consumers they control and manipulate theyre internet service, doesnt matter if you have 50mbps or 1Gbps internet speed, the question how fast the data travels from phil to US (vice versa) thats the simplest explanation to put on that regardless of your location (asia/europe)

Edited by wikedbazist

dont believe what speedtest and cmd give you results its just a plain explanation on how much speed your getting, told you before the thing is that the speed of travel of data from america to phil (vice versa) has a factor also, usually the isp is the problem here? how do i know? i used to work in dell computers i work as an IT there for years, that's one of the secrets ISP companies hides from there consumers they control and manipulate theyre internet service, doesnt matter if you have 50mbps or 1Gbps internet speed, the question how fast the data travels from phil to US (vice versa) thats the simplest explanation to put on that regardless of your location (asia/europe)

What you're saying is that internet speed varies with the distance correct? That's why this suggestion was started. Glad to know you're seeing the reason why. Regarding cmd, I stated facts to show you the difference with the ping not entirely saying that I'm basing my opinion on what I see. I'm also an IT so I know things just as you are. I know that ISP are gating connections here in the Phil, but that is different on another country. Last month I was in Japan and I tried to play fRO but still, the ping is running around 250 - 270. You should try and go to Japan to see it for yourself. Coughs* anyways. The point is, DISTANCE is a matter and if there's any way to reduce the ping [not just through VPNs, and GPNs] that would be better.

dude lets make it more simplier

FACTORS

1.Location= BIGGEST FACTOR (wanted a lower ping? go live in america then play FRO problem SOLVED my friend LOL)

2.Travel of Data (from united states to asian countries thats vice versa btw)

3.ISP

dude have you tried living in united states? try playing in there lol man, that the simpliest form of my explanation and you still dont get it. -.-

Edited by wikedbazist

You're the one not getting my point. I started this thread to ask the GM any actions on how to reduce ping because I know DISTANCE is a problem. Try and read. Please. READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD. "Distance" lag issues for Asians. Where is this conversation getting? You're not even making a proper suggestion, you end up bashing - This is prohibited in forums btw. Dude, read please. No, read and understand. If I can live in the US I would cause I know their ping is good. THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS to reduce ping whilst you live far away from the server.

im not bashing dude lol

your asking for the moon and the stars

live in america and see it with your own eyes mate

lag will always be lag, it's either THEY upgrade hardware/network stuff etc etc etc, there are many factors dude you know that your an IT LOL

Edited by wikedbazist

I know it'll be hard cause our choices as players are:

1. Go to their place to experience good ping or

2. Find another server[close to where we are] where we can experience good ping.

I don't want choice 2, and neither does my friends playing now.

So, asking for suggestions isn't asking for "moon" and "stars" like you said.

I've had this conversation with [GM]Dream once, his answer: "Finding a central server for both Eastern and Western players alike would be a good idea."

But of course there's pros and cons.

Pros:

Balanced pings for both Eastern and Western members

Cons:

Jorge/[GM]Genesis would have a hard time.

Large change would occur.

Server would go down for days.

That's 1 suggestion.

Now I'm asking for better ways. Going against asking wouldn't help. Suggesting WOULD help.

that's a good suggestion but you know the answer to that

more work and money involve

nowadays you gotta be more realistic in life, so we gotta live by it.

the server has been running for more than 7 years so far...

you gotta see theyre side also dude it's not that easy to manage a server running for years, theres a lot of major problems in fro see this, but for me one of the major problems here is the PHP sellers, they destroy the economy, instead of the player donating he buys stuff from players using real money, the server dont get any benefit from it, for me regardless of my stay in this server, so far that's one of the major issues in here, they should be OBLITERATE & VAPORIZED.

that's a good suggestion but you know the answer to that

more work and money involve

nowadays you gotta be more realistic in life, so we gotta live by it.

the server has been running for more than 7 years so far...

you gotta see theyre side also dude it's not that easy to manage a server running for years, theres a lot of major problems in fro see this, but for me one of the major problems here is the PHP sellers, they destroy the economy, instead of the player donating he buys stuff from players using real money, the server dont get any benefit from it, for me regardless of my stay in this server, so far that's one of the major issues in here, they should be OBLITERATE & VAPORIZED.

I agree. Like I said, changing the server's location has pros and cons. That's why I'm asking for a better solution to the problem. Because if there's anyone who could give a better answer, that would be great. About PHPing, it's another issue. Lest, here, we wait for GMs to read and find answers related to the issue on hand. And dude, the server had been running from 2007, been a member since then. Which makes the server 8 years old and counting. Server's relocation would be decided none other than the head. So whatever the costs, however good it sounds, however hard, it's still their decision to make.

Alright, since you guys claim to be from the IT industry then I don't need to explain as much.

There's a reason why most MMOs have their regional versions. I give an example: Elsword is a side scrolling 2d game from Korea. There are regional versions of Elsword, Elsword KR and there is also Elsword US servers and other ones. The reason is mainly to reduce ping.

Put this in our perspective, there is simply no way to meet halfway regarding the server. I doubt there is a hosting company that can host Ragnarok that is basically in the middle of the US and East Asia. Another issue is that having the server closer to the admin means he can do action faster when the server has issues. That for me is the main thing. The cost and risk of migrating a server is too high, when all it does is just minimize 200+ ping to about 150 and making 50+ ping become 100 to some people.

Reading on and came to know that you are from PH is another thing. Even if we move the server somewhat closer to you guys, the network infrastructure of the country is way below the normal standards, I am sure you know that. There is one big telco in PH which basically controls every thing, to the point that it limits the country's connection. It's not about the speed, it is how the network has been done: You guys pay for more while they deliberately give you slower speed. Moving the server will in no way fix that, your ping will still be higher than singapore when you guys are basically neighbors simply because the routing of data in the country is fucked.

Reading on and came to know that you are from PH is another thing. Even if we move the server somewhat closer to you guys, the network infrastructure of the country is way below the normal standards, I am sure you know that. There is one big telco in PH which basically controls every thing, to the point that it limits the country's connection. It's not about the speed, it is how the network has been done: You guys pay for more while they deliberately give you slower speed. Moving the server will in no way fix that, your ping will still be higher than singapore when you guys are basically neighbors simply because the routing of data in the country is fucked.

That's why Telstra's about to launch in PH, and the competition makes the telcos here do better. as if lmao.

Alright, since you guys claim to be from the IT industry then I don't need to explain as much.

There's a reason why most MMOs have their regional versions. I give an example: Elsword is a side scrolling 2d game from Korea. There are regional versions of Elsword, Elsword KR and there is also Elsword US servers and other ones. The reason is mainly to reduce ping.

Put this in our perspective, there is simply no way to meet halfway regarding the server. I doubt there is a hosting company that can host Ragnarok that is basically in the middle of the US and East Asia. Another issue is that having the server closer to the admin means he can do action faster when the server has issues. That for me is the main thing. The cost and risk of migrating a server is too high, when all it does is just minimize 200+ ping to about 150 and making 50+ ping become 100 to some people.

True. Having said that, any suggestions on how to reduce our ping other than relocating the server? Not just for the people here in the Philippines, you can forget about us. We're waiting for Telstra to be fully operational then we can talk about our speed.

That's why Telstra's about to launch in PH, and the competition makes the telcos here do better. as if lmao.

That's what I'm about to say. Still waiting for a GM to answer my inquiry. What do you guys think? What can YOU do? If there's nothing wouldn't mind.

Word of advice: Do not hope much. Even if someone does go in your country and try to challenge the telcos, it would take them a minimum of 1-2 years since I would assume that they will have to make their own set of cables to do what they claim they will do, since the backbone of PH is being held by one telco. For a simpler term, one telco is holding the country's internet hostage.

Also, telstra has data caps, so be ready for that.

@masang

We've talked about this on Skype. Rayray and I have the same feedback regarding this idea. The most important key factor here is that Genesis needs the host to be near him and I doubt that he's willing to migrate to another server. Let's just say, fRO has been up for 7 or 8 years already; I am here for a year now and I think it's still working as it should be.

There is basically nothing on the server side that would help with ping. I did use some ping reducing software and it helped(sometimes). Mostly, I never really bothered with ping as I use characters that is not ping dependent like champ or clowns. Although on occasion, I was able to use clown but I fixed my weakness(which is AV spam) with more damage.

Thanks for another VPN I can't pay for. Well I'm currently subscribed in WTFast. I'll try pingzapper next month. Thanks.

We have to do things for ourselves. I invested since I know that I will be playing fRO for a long long time. :)

I think most of you here have drawn a correct conclusion. I'll just try to explain a few things to clarify everything and leave a few suggestions.

First and foremost, ping is mostly dependant on distance. Increasing your internetspeed will (most of the time) not reduce your ping. A 5 mb/s connection from one town can have the same ping as a 100 mb/s connection from the same town. ping shows how much time it takes for your command to reach a server, it is unrelated to the bandwith you get.

Second, how come distance increases ping?

As explained earlier ping describes how much time it takes from your command to reach the designated server. In order for your command to reach the right server it passes through many other servers. These servers are called hops. The more hops you have the higher the ping, hops often vary in quality as well.

How come some countries that are closer to the server have higher ping than other countries that are further away?

There's several factors for this. It mostly has to do with the country's ISPs. In particular which hops these providers use. Changing ISPs can change the hops your connection is taking, which can improve or worsen your ping. Secondly there's data limitation but this doesn't affect ping as much as your actual internet speed.

Now onto ways to lower the ping:

1: Changing your own physical location aka moving closer to the server (Not a VPN)

2: Changing the servers location, we'd have to find a central location for both the US and Asia , it'd probably be somewhere at eastern Europe. Unfortunately changing server locations is easier said than done. Its also a downside for when issues occur. Not to mention that eastern europe probably doesn't have the quality in datacenters/hosts that US servers have.

3: Use a rerouting program (by far the best option). I've seen you guys call these VPN software but that does not quite cover their use. A VPN program is there to reroute your connection through a VPN server to hide your IP. These programs however are not there to hide your IP, they change your route instead and let's you use optimized hops to get lower ping.

My personal experience is that pingzapper is amazing, wtfast and battleping have effect as well but are a lot less stable. Though it is said that wtfast has more effect with regular pings above 300.

Also you can use free trials of these programs , they will be limited time and most likely server wise but it should help some still.

I wonder how those people living in the Philippines spams skills faster than western ping and claim they have 20 ping ;) Seems a bit odd considering what you guys have been saying about South East Asians having 300+ ping. #justsaying