Zelot Overlord

Allow The Use Of Rcx On The Server

@Zealot Overlord

We are trying our best to move as fast as we can to make the fixes. We are more focused on making BN useless in the server but we try to be careful not to break some skills. Arrow Shower for instance was supposed to be fixed but accidentally did something to make it useless (for now). Genesis and I will schedule another testing real soon.

Lol... give the server some third party program protection such as harmony for instance and you won't have any issue with breakneck because it gets blocked. It's so much more simple to just add protection instead of adjusting everything in the game to make breakneck useless. As I said earlier, people are already using this stuff there's no denying that. They will always use this stuff, but it's not really fair to have only a handful of people using it and the rest of the players get screwed because they don't have the access or information as the others.

Lol... give the server some third party program protection such as harmony for instance and you won't have any issue with breakneck because it gets blocked. It's so much more simple to just add protection instead of adjusting everything in the game to make breakneck useless. As I said earlier, people are already using this stuff there's no denying that. They will always use this stuff, but it's not really fair to have only a handful of people using it and the rest of the players get screwed because they don't have the access or information as the others.

I would actually advice against harmony, and I think Genesis already mentioned the hazards and reasons on why we will not use Harmony(forgot which thread).

Harmony gives decent protection but it's not foolproof. It's not the cheapest thing in the world but it's better than 90% of the other third party defense programs. There's several other ways to protect against third party program abuse other than harmony and are much simpler than adjusting everything in the game to stop people from using breakneck.

RCX is a gray area. The problem is you claim that it only does show the skills while having effects off and it does not give advantage over other players. However, reading on about it, I find other things.

– Zoom out further

– Show Cast Range

– Bowling Bash assist lines.

PVPing a lot, those 3 are HUGE advantages over people who don't use RCX. Which means if we allow RCX, everyone should use it or else they will be at a disadvantage.

One random advantage of RCX users in our server is during one of the events. It would be pretty easy to win hide and seek with it provided you are on the correct map.

Also, there is a "heal slave" feature, basically you can automate one character to follow and heal another. In short, a buff bot can be made using RCX. Allowing RCX would be a loophole then, because if they do get caught, they can just say "I am using RCX and it is legal".

With that said, as I always have been, I will have to -1 this. I was never an advocate of 3rd party programs, hell I hated macros being used even if it is embedded on the hardware itself.

It would be available to everyone.

Zooming out further isn't even an advantage.

Showing cast range is barely considered an advantage, especially on a high-rate.

I'd rather have LKs with BB assist lines than FAS in its current state.

Heal slave is likely for low-rates. Idk how open the source of it is to be able to edit it for using buffs via other classes though.

I really don't care whether people use it or not; nor would I feel disadvantaged versus someone using it.

Zooming out further isn't even an advantage.

It isn't, if you only pvp in for_fild that is. Other places or events like GVG or even WoE, it could be an advantage provided the player knows how to make it an advantage.

Regarding the heal-slave feature, it seems easy enough to tweak around.

Here's my thoughts on the suggestion and the things discussed in this topic:

RCX, allthough a very useful tool in the past used to reduce lag on low-end computers has grown out to a program with many options that allow unfair advantages over players not using RCX therefore I disagree with this suggestion. However I do agree with Sensation that a possible seperate .grf and client with minimized skill effects could offer a solution to possible lag problems people are having. That way you still reduce the lag, are still able to see the crucial skills and don't have a way of gaining unfair advantages over other people.

As for the harmony suggestion. I personally advise against using Harmony for many reasons. The only way to truly remove the advantages of such third party programs is by server-side changes. People will always find ways around security measures and gain the advantage again. However server-side changes such as delay changes can not be evaded in any way. This is why I personally prefer the server-side changes over paying for a very unoptimized security system that in the end will not be able to keep cheaters from cheating.

Here's my thoughts on the suggestion and the things discussed in this topic:

RCX, allthough a very useful tool in the past used to reduce lag on low-end computers has grown out to a program with many options that allow unfair advantages over players not using RCX therefore I disagree with this suggestion. However I do agree with Sensation that a possible seperate .grf and client with minimized skill effects could offer a solution to possible lag problems people are having. That way you still reduce the lag, are still able to see the crucial skills and don't have a way of gaining unfair advantages over other people.

As for the harmony suggestion. I personally advise against using Harmony for many reasons. The only way to truly remove the advantages of such third party programs is by server-side changes. People will always find ways around security measures and gain the advantage again. However server-side changes such as delay changes can not be evaded in any way. This is why I personally prefer the server-side changes over paying for a very unoptimized security system that in the end will not be able to keep cheaters from cheating.

That and using packet encryption and MD5 client hashes to connect will avoid any 3rd party programs to be used. It'll limit the possibilities to use 3rd party programs by a lot but AHK probably never really could get disabled.

Though built-in packet flooding protection could reduce people hitting that sweet spot and get disconnected. A lot of work, but still doable.

Initial suggestion is in my opinion not acceptable, but alternatives provided and approved by the GM team are acceptable.